Tuesday, October 17, 2017

10 Life Hacks to Help You Free Up Money

 by Kevin Graham, September 17, 2015 in Saving Money

Are you looking for ways you can cut down on expenses and put a little extra money aside? Maybe you’re looking to budget more efficiently, fund that big vacation or save for retirement.
This post is dedicated to little tricks to keep more of your money in your pocket. You can have a little fun with these things, too.
 1. Call to Cancel. See How They React.
Savings doesn’t always mean going without. Sometimes when you call to cancel a service (e.g. cable, Internet, satellite radio, etc.), they’re very motivated to retain you as a client. After all, some of your money is better than none at all.
If they’re focused on retention, they may give you a reduced rate for a certain period of time or direct you to a plan that costs less without 37 channels that show 20-year-old movies.
Another good strategy in this situation is to research their competition. Tell them you’re switching to Competitor X who’s offering the same or better level of service for $50 cheaper. Play them against each other. Even if they just offer to match, this works to your advantage. You don’t have to take the equipment back.

2. Cut the Cord

A lot of people are cutting the cord and canceling cable for good. A couple of technological developments happening right now make this very possible.
For starters, you can now get HDTV out of an antenna to watch your local programming. You can also subscribe to multiple services like Netflix, Hulu and even HBO online to get your television for less than you would pay on a monthly basis for a cable subscription.
However, you might run into a problem with sports. Many games are shown on cable, but all the major professional leagues have their own subscription services now. Just be aware you may have to pick and choose sports to make cutting the cord cost-effective.

3. Reacquaint Yourself with Your Local Library

I seem to recall my library as being a place where I went to pick up the occasional book for school. When I went back with my sister to get a book she wanted to read, I probably hadn’t set foot in the public library in four years.
I took some time to browse. While it was good to see they still have books at the library, the CDs and DVDs were a definite surprise.
When I got to the counter, the librarian who asked me if I wanted to renew my library card told me I can check out e-books. It was as if I’d been transported to an alternate dimension. Giraffes might as well have been serving ice cream.
Seriously though, your library may have a lot more education and entertainment options than it used to. It may be worth checking out if you haven’t been there in a while.

4. Lunch at the Grocery Store

I’ve been known to partake of the grocery store sample line a time or two. It wasn’t until a couple years ago that I realized a motivated person has many choices, often including dessert, from the sample lines. Why do you think everyone is queued up when you go in there on a particularly busy Saturday? They’ve discovered a secret.
“Of course I’ll try the chicken cordon bleu…Why yes! I think I’ll have a butterscotch cookie.”
It’s important to note that the portions are small. You can definitely make this work for lunch, but not dinner.

5. Pay Attention to Those Receipts

After you’ve done your shopping (and maybe gotten a midday meal in the bargain), it’s time to head to the cash register. However, it’s important to remember the savings don’t always stop when you check out
Many stores add coupons to the backs of receipts now. It’s their way of keeping you coming back for more, but it also saves you money to use those coupons.

6. Get That Deposit Back

Many states charge a small deposit on the purchase of all bottles and cans. You get that deposit back when you bring them back to the store and feed the machine.
You won’t be able to retire early on the amount you get back, but it will give you some spare change for the drive-through.

7. Save Those Ketchup Packets

My grandpa goes to fast food places every so often and orders inside. When he comes back with lunch, he’ll always bring back a mountain of napkins. To this day, I’m not sure how he does it, but we’re never out.
My grandpa is an extreme example, but it proves a point. If they give you four sauce packets and you only use two, stick the others in a drawer. They could come in handy when you run out. You’ll also be well-stocked when the zombie apocalypse causes a worldwide shortage of whatever that stuff is they use for onion ring sauce.

8. Rewards Programs

Many businesses will have rewards programs for their customers. You can shop around to see who gives you the best deal. There are programs for things like credit cards, airline miles and grocery stores.
Although the traditional ones are above, you can find rewards programs for all sorts of things. Every time I go to my local movie theater, they try to get me to join their rewards program. One day, I will go often enough to make it worthwhile.

9. Attend Matinee Movies

There’s not many things I want to roll out of bed before 9 a.m. on a Saturday for, but my thrifty nature will occasionally pull me away from my pillow for a matinee movie. Different theaters will have different times, but if you go to one of the early showings, you can often get a ticket $5 or $6.
It can be super cheap entertainment if you manage to run through without succumbing to the smell of the popcorn stand. Sadly, this is one magic trick I’ve yet to master. I do have a trick I learned in high school for cheap dates though:
If you and your friend are going to drink the same beverage, don’t go with two smalls. It’s often cheaper to get a large drink and two straws. Just make sure you know whose is whose.
The same matinee strategy will work if you go to the theater for a play as well.

10. Gift Card Sites

Thankfully, no one has ever given me a gift card to Pottery Barn. I know in a couple of years when I’m getting married and looking to move into my first place with my beautiful bride, I’ll rue writing this because we’ll be registered there or something.
As a single dude in my mid-20s, I just don’t think I’m in their target demographic.
However, there are sites online where I could sell such a gift card to someone else at a slight discount to benefit us both. I’ve converted a gift card I wasn’t going to use into cash and gotten a deal on something I’d use.

No comments:

Post a Comment